Re: Recognising Symbolic Links under Windows XP

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Recognising Symbolic Links under Windows XP
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:20:32 +0200

davin.pearson@gmail.com writes:

> I was recently using Emacs under Gnu/Linux where I learnt about
> symbolic links and how useful they are.
>
> These days I am mainly using Emacs under Windows XP so I wondered if
> it was possible for Emacs to recognise Windows-style symbolic links
> (*.lnk files)

FYI, there is something called "junctions" that NTFS supports. It
works more or less like symbolic links on GNU/Linux or Unix
systems. You need a special command line tool to create them.

You can find one such tool here:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Junction.html

I use it to make a symbolic link from my "emacs-22.xyz..." to a folder
with the simpler name "emacs", and it works great.