Re: Best way to run on Windows XP

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Best way to run on Windows XP
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:35:23 +0300

> Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:05:43 +0300
> From: "Ehud Karni" <ehud@unix.mvs.co.il>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Cygwin Emacs is VERY well maintained by Joe Buehler.

Still, his last ChangeLog entry in the Emacs CVS dates back to April
2004.  If the Cygwin port is still in good shape, it's probably by
sheer luck (or by work of others).

> I was working with NTEmacs and switched to the Cygwin Emacs because
> of two reasons:
>   1. You have the full UNIX toolset with real POSIX support
>      (e.g. same paths, env vars with lower case letters).

You can have the same with GnuWin32.

>   2. Some things that were included in UNIX Emacs (jpeg IIRC) were not
>      supported by the NTEmacs but worked with Cygwin Emacs on X.

This is supported in the CVS NTEmacs code for a very long time (before
the Cygwin support became part of the CVS).

So I think now Cygwin and NTEmacs basically work equally well, and the
choice depends on whether one wants a native Windows Emacs or a
Posix-compliant Emacs.