Re: how to change file coding system

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: how to change file coding system
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:48:24 +0200

Am 26.08.2005 um 11:52 schrieb Martin Monsorno:

locale says:

I don't know what this command ``locale´´ is doing, what I recommend and what is documented in GNU Emacs is the use of environment variables. Those are set in Bourne Shell alikes (sh, bash, ksh, zsh) à la:

        LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
        export LANG

and in csh alikes (csh, tcsh, zsh) à la:

        set LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

It seems to me my emacs installation is /not/ capable of handling
multibyte characters, right?  So what to do?

Check what the difference between the info from locale and an environment variable in a shell is!

Check, if necessary, whether GNU Emacs understands the values returned from locale!

If all fails: get yourself GNU Emacs 22 from CVS or GNU Emacs 23 from a not working server? If Miles Bader or any other from the Unicode Emacs team is reading: how can the source be accessed nowadays?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

"Specifications are for the weak and timid!"