Re: Non-commutative symbolic multiplication in Calc

From: Neon Absentius
Subject: Re: Non-commutative symbolic multiplication in Calc
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:12:48 +0000

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 08:36:49PM +0200, Roland Winkler wrote:
> Neon Absentius <address@hidden> writes:
> > Ideally the multiplication should not be assumed commutative (or the
> > variables invertible) unless explicitly declared so.
> Emacs calc (the way I look at it) is designed to be a powerful,
> advanced calculator. But it is not a computer algebra system which I
> would use to address the kind of problem you are talking about..

If there is a line between an advanced desk calculator and a CAS then
surely Emacs calc has crossed it! OTOH what are PC's but (glorified)
advanced desk calculators? :)

But (more) seriously what I am talking about is not really that more
complicated than what calc does already. If it can calculate
          2     2            2
   (x + y)   = x  + 2 y x + y

then it should be able to do
          2     2                2
   (x + y)   = x  + x y + y x + y

> For example. take a look at Maxima,
> It's now under GPL, and it even has a nice emacs interface.

Yes I know about maxima and I use it. However I usually prefer calc
for a "quick and dirty" calculation. And I really like the interface.

Most precious among the relics remaining of Peter's skeleton in the
Vatican are 29 fragments of one of his skulls. (St. Peter's other
skull is preserved in a reliquary at the Cathedral of St. John
   -- Frank R. Zindler, "Of Bones and Boners"