Re: I seek QA for CPerl 5.2 (Emacs mode)

From: Randy W. Sims
Subject: Re: I seek QA for CPerl 5.2 (Emacs mode)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:11:03 -0400

Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
  ilyaz.org/software/emacs

In my private classification, this release is pre-alpha.  However, I
still hope to promote it to "golden" without any change ;-).

Since it is a very extensive edit, bugs are possible.  Moreover, an
order of applying some heuristics changed (this is the principal
reason for the 3.5x..15x speedup I observed).  In the cases I tried,
this edit speeds up things; however, it might be that in some other
cases it makes things slower.

Thus I would like to hear about *ALL* changes to the worse comparing
to 5.0, both in correctness of operation, and in speed.  Your feedback
is very appreciated.

I notice an incredible speed up when loading/fontifying largish modules.

One wierd problem I find is if I load two copies of a certain file it becomes develishly slow to do anything, even scrolling. This doesn't seem to happen on all files; not sure if it's size or content related yet.

Eg, If I unpack the Module::Build distribution into two different directories, then load copies of Module/Build/Base.pm from each location, the second buffer becomes slow. The original buffer and any others are not affected. If I close both buffers, then open the same file again, the new buffer is also slow-I must exit emacs and restart before I can work with that particular file because of slowdown.

This is on Debian (testing) with GNU Emacs 21.4.1.

Other than that one problem, the new version is great. Like I said the speedup when loading/fontifying is amazing.

Regards,
Randy.