Re: Accelerating Emacs?

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: Re: Accelerating Emacs?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:26:26 +0800

From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 17:43:29 +0200

I'm sorry I was a bit busy yesterday.

The following description is based on my Emacs 21.3 in Windows.

You can enable garbage-collect messages by setting the variable
garbage-collection-messages to non-nil.  Then you will see a message
in the echo area when Emacs is in GC.

I turned it on, and when Emacs hangs the two messages

   "Garbage collecting..."

and

"???? (a long word I can't see it clearly) @code{print-elements-of-list} ..."

are displayed alternately in the echo area. But I can only conclude
that the exchanging speed of displaying is slower and slower by time.
Task manager shows that Emacs uses about 80MB memory and
the number increases even if I abort the formatting process, although
the speed is becoming slow. A few seconds later, this number stops
increasing, but doesn't fall down as well. Emacs occupies 50% of
CPU cycle and this percentage is not changed during these periods.
C-x C-b shows no buffer contains further information about the details
of garbage collection. It seems that there is a died repetition
somewhere although I can't address it.

Other things to consider include:

  . Perhaps your system is running out of free RAM and Emacs starts
    paging?  You can use the Windows Task Manager to see how much
    physical memory is used, how many page faults Emacs generates, and
    other pertinent info.

The bottom line of Task Manager contains a string like '362M / 1230M'.
The information about Emacs is

Name            User             CPU            Memory
emacs.exe      xuguanpeng        50          82,520K

I don't know what these mean exactly, but I'm sure the physical memory
is not used out.

  . How many other programs are using up CPU cycles?  The Task Manager
    will help you see that as well.

The total of CPU cycles used by other programs (except System Idle
Process) is about 10%.

  . When Emacs freezes, do other programs on this system become
    unresponsive as well, or do they work normally?  If the former,
    perhaps some network-related problem ties up the system in a
    busy-wait loop.

And I'm sure there is nothing wrong with network since I can open url
with Opera.

  . Does Emacs run any subprocesses concurrently with
    texinfo-format-buffer?  If so, perhaps it's one of those
    subprocesses that causes Emacs to hang.

No, I ran only M-x texinfo-format-buffer in a fresh Emacs process.

I wonder if I can get the details about garbage collection so I can figure
out how much Emacs goes through at least.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu