RE: message in minibuffer

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: message in minibuffer
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:10:51 -0800

    I am a newbie in writing lisp code.  When my code displays a message in
    the minibuffer using the (message ...) syntax, I always have double
    quotes around the output.  I have noticed in other packages that
    messages appear without the double quotes yet the code uses the same
    syntax

    How do I get rid of the double quotes in the mini-buffer?

Post your code, so we can see what it does.

`message' displays a literal string argument without double-quotes. However,
if your string _contains_ double-quotes, then they will be shown by
`message', as they are characters in the string itself.

This will not display any double-quotes: (message "This is a message")

This will display double-quotes: (message "\"Quoted message\"")

If you are doing (message foo), then make sure the value of `foo' is not a
string that contains double-quotes. In particular, be aware that if you set
a string-valued variable `foo' using `set-variable' or Customize, you should
not include double-quotes in the value you enter.

Keep in mind also that the first argument to `message' is a format string.
See function `format' for the proper use of `%' in format strings. If, for
example, you use `%S' instead of `%s', then a string value will be displayed
surrounded by double-quotes. For example:

(setq foo "aaa")

(message "Here is a string value: %S." foo) ->

  Here is a string value: "aaa".