Speed up Emacs startup

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Speed up Emacs startup
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:39:23 +0100

Just a quick question which does not seem so obvious to be
answered: is there an easy way to speed up Emacs launch without
sacrificing the readability and shortness of the .emacs file?

I mean: I don't like the autoload statements where you need tens
of lines instead of one require function call. Is it possible to
write a modified "require" that would provide the same kind of
effect (ie, load files only when they are truly needed OR when
the system is idle)?

Thank you very much,

Sébastien Vauban