Speed up Emacs startup

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Speed up Emacs startup
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:39:23 +0100

Hi,

Just a quick question which does not seem so obvious to be
answered: is there an easy way to speed up Emacs launch without
sacrificing the readability and shortness of the .emacs file?

I mean: I don't like the autoload statements where you need tens
of lines instead of one require function call. Is it possible to
write a modified "require" that would provide the same kind of
effect (ie, load files only when they are truly needed OR when
the system is idle)?

Thank you very much,
  Sébastien.

--