Re: Emacs on AMD64

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: Emacs on AMD64
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:40:45 +0100 (CET)

Reiner Steib wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30 2005, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
>
> > $ ../emacs-21.4/configure
> > creating cache ./config.cache
> > checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> > configure: error: Emacs hasn't been ported to `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu'
> > systems.
> > Check `etc/MACHINES' for recognized configuration names.
>
> > Is the message true?  Mandrake 9.2 contains emacs-21.3 (I wanted to
> > upgrade).
>
> Emacs 21.4 and 21.3 only differ by a single security fix.  Probably
> Mandrake has already fixed this problem in their emacs-21.3 package
> without increasing the version to 21.4.  Here on SuSE 9.2:
>
> ,----
> | $ rpm -q --changelog emacs|less +/movemail
> |
> | * Fri Feb 04 2005 - address@hidden
> |
> | - Security fix for movemail applied (bug #50237)
> `----

Mandrake emacs is dated Aug 28  2003, so I doubt it has the fix :(. But
that is minor thing: I would like to applay a patch to emacs, so first
I need to build it from sources.

Also, I think that other folks would like to know if GNU Emacs is
supported on AMD64.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch@math.uni.wroc.pl