Re: mode to allow eg vi or vim WITHIN *SHELL* -- forgot its name

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: mode to allow eg vi or vim WITHIN *SHELL* -- forgot its name
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:09:12 +0000 (UTC)

In article <85y82xb5xz.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>, David Kastrup  <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>
>> I think it was in a recent thread -- a mode-like .el-file that
>> once executed would all you to freely use cursor-moving
>> programs like vi, vim, page, and the like, within an
>> ordinary *shell* window.
>
>No.
>
>> What was the name of it?   (And where to find it, too?)
>
>M-x term RET
>
>comes with Emacs, but it certainly does not use a *shell* window.
>
>--
>David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

THANK YOU!!!!

THAT TERM.EL IS SO INCREDIBLY COOL!

(I learned that term.el is an upgrade of ansi-term.el, which .el
is the one I had previously tried, forgot its name, and posted here!
term.el seems much better?)

>comes with Emacs, but it certainly does not use a *shell* window.

OK -- but it *does* immediately want to run a shell, default
(here only?) being /bin/csh.

So it's *like* a *shell*, no?

Anyway, yes, I *can* indeed run vi within it.  Pretty damn neat!

------

You know, it sure would be nice if people could make a (separate) wiki
(or something) of the not-totally-obvious .el-files, with just a short
blurb for each (not full doc!), saying what it *does* and (most importantly)
*why you'd want to use it*.

Like, some things it enables you to do, eg for term.el that it gives you
an emacs-buffer *within which you can (amazingly!) run things like vi*.

Even (for those where possible) a succinct one-liner.

Would likely result in a VAST increase in benefits from emacs-usage!

David