Re: problem with vc-svn + tramp.

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: problem with vc-svn + tramp.
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:31:19 -0800

Emory Smith <emory.smith@gmail.com> writes:

> George Nurser <agn@noc.soton.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> I am using emacs 22.0.50, running on a powerbook. When I use tramp to
>> edit a file in a subversion directory by doing ssh onto a SUN
>> workstation, it seems to automatically switch on the vc-svn mode. It
>> then keeps failing, with the message
>>
>> vc-do-command: Running svn...FAILED (status 127)
>
> ive had a lot trouble with this as well.
>
> heres a simple fix that works great for me.
>
> find the following function in vc-svn.el:
>
> (defun vc-svn-registered (file)
>   "Check if FILE is SVN registered."
>   (when (file-readable-p (expand-file-name ".svn/entries"
>                                          (file-name-directory file)))
>     (with-temp-buffer
>       (cd (file-name-directory file))
>       (condition-case nil
>         (vc-svn-command t 0 file "status" "-v")
>       ;; We can't find an `svn' executable.  We could also deregister SVN.
>       (file-error nil))
>       (vc-svn-parse-status t)
>       (eq 'SVN (vc-file-getprop file 'vc-backend)))))
>
> and replace it with:
>
> (defun vc-svn-registered (file)
>   "Check if FILE is SVN registered."
>   nil)
>
> this effectively disables vc-svn for all files. im sure theres a
> simpler / more elegant way of doing this ... (anyone?)

Stefan Monnier and I just made some changes to that function to fix a
problem that it had when you were editing files that you could not
write. Perhaps that's the problem you both describe? Please check out
the latest and see how it works for you.

>> Incidentally, now does the vc-svn mode compare with the psvn.el
>> available at http://www.xsteve.at/prg/vc_svn/ ?

psvn.el is to vc-svn.el as pcvs.el is to vc-cvs.el. It's essentially a
dired view of your files.