Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Printing from WindowXP version of emacs
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:25:13 +0200

> From: Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:58:35 +0100
>
> So I set it to "//gbgfs1/gbg2b" and then called M-x lpr-buffer
>
> It worked.

Thanks for testing.  This is how things are supposed to work, and on
many Windows machines it is that easy to accomplish that,

> I did not test with colors (it is no color printer) but that probably
> won't work in the same way, will it?

Well, obviously you cannot see colors on a printer that doesn't
support color ;-).

If the printer is a Postscript printer, though, ps-print has a feature
whereby you can remap faces to use color-less typefaces instead; for
example, the face for comments could use bold-italic, keywords could
come out underlined, etc.  I attach below the mapping I use for a very
long time.

> Btw, I first tested without setting printer-name (which on Windows XP
> has the default value PRN) and printed, and Emacs froze. Don't know
> why though.

Probably the PRN port is captured by some non-existing device, or
something like that.

(setq ps-bold-faces
      '(font-lock-comment-face
        font-lock-keyword-face