Truncate string to a given width in proportional font

From: Paul Moore
Subject: Truncate string to a given width in proportional font
Date: 30 Dec 2005 07:22:23 -0800

Is there any way of truncating a string to fit in a given width, when
using a proportional font? This is with CVS GNU Emacs, "GNU Emacs
22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195) of 2005-12-28 on GANDALF".

I want to display some text in columnar format, but using proportional
fonts rather than fixed width.

Complicated and/or ugly hacks are fine, as I'm going to be wrapping
them in nice friendly functions anyway...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Paul.