Re: faster emacs startup, can I postpone package loading?

From: BRUCE INGALLS
Subject: Re: faster emacs startup, can I postpone package loading?
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 19:10:56 -0500

From: "mitchell_laks"
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date: 2 Jan 2006 18:38:25 -0800

> > First, you'd have track down, where all the loading is happening.
> Perhaps this happens in a file like /usr/share/emacs/site-start/site- init.el

Thank you! Bingo!

The directories /usr/share/emacs and /usr/share/emacs21 are interesting

There is a file debian-startup.el and the directories correspond to the
things that emacs loaded during startup.
There,  in the ../emacs21/.. directory
the file is a compiled file .elc.

But I can't read debian-startup.elc but I can read the
debian-startup.el  in ../emacs/ .. :).

> Next, you can try Jari Aalto's tiny-load: http://tiny-tools.sourceforge.net/
> It loads packages during idle time. I use it in
> http://emacro.sourceforge.net/

Q: Am I going to have to rewrite this thing
?? :((( ?? using tiny-tools?  Over my head...

Has anyone else smarter than me already done this?

Dear Bruce your sourceforge site which I am looking at now is amazing.
I had no idea what a high level of emacs wizardry exists out in the
wild!

Unfortunately, I do not have a  Debian system to test this on,  unless Knoppix fits.
I appreciate the complement on EMacro. I believe that it is the oldest package
dedicated to ease of Emacs use.
I am glad to see competition, i.e. more easy Emacs packages!
I've been devoting my recent time to polishing EMacro for serious distribution.

You can see how I use tiny-load (grep is your friend) at the end of e-config.el, as
well as in e-functions.el.
If the online help does not work for you, and there are no Linux User Groups in your
area, nor a Linux Guru at work, then perhaps it is time to start a Hacking Elisp
entry at http://www.emacswiki.org/

If all this still gives your neuron meltdown a senior moment, I have heard of an open
source bounty site. Perhaps donating a recently completed tech textbook, or a
SourceForge or Gnu contribution might motivate an alpha geek, here, on Debian or
elsewhere...