RE: Accessing recent file history

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Accessing recent file history
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 08:56:38 -0800

    I want to write a small function to open files using iswitchb
    functions, using the recent file names list as input. Somewhat similar
    to what I do in the following defun:

    (defun my-switch-to-bookmark (bname)
      "Interactively switch to bookmark as `iswitchb' does."
      (interactive (list (flet ((iswitchb-make-buflist
                                 (default)
                                 (require 'bookmark)
                                 (setq iswitchb-buflist
    (bookmark-all-names))))
                           (iswitchb-read-buffer "Jump to bookmark: "))))
      (bookmark-jump bname))

    So, I want something exactly like the above, but instead of
    `bookmark-jump' I want to use `find-file' and instead of
    `bookmark-all-names' I want to get hold of the file history.

    The file history that I see in the File -> Open Recently Visited would
    be best, but I guess the minibuffer history for `find-file' would work
    too.

Use `recentf-list' (library recentf.el).
See `icicle-recent-file' for an example:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/icicles.el.