Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 17:23:55 -0600

"Luis O. Silva" <l.o.silva@mail.ru> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:59:49 -0600, Tim McNamara writes:
>
>    TM> I use a Mac.  I'm not apologizing for it nor am I going
>    TM> to let someone make me feel like I'm doing something
>    TM> wrong.
>
> I invite you to apologize and repent of your sin. This is the
> place for doing it, son. :)

Hee hee.  Not gonna happen.

>    TM> I've yet to find a GNU/Linux or BSD system that
>    TM> is as good to use as OS X.
>
> It's not a matter of how well something works. The only way to
> go is that of freedom.

How well software works is a central issue in getting people to use
it.  If the Free Software movement is content to have a limited market
and minimal adoption, well that can't be helped.

My computer is a tool.  I need it to just work, I need it to be
reliable, and I need it to be easily useable.  In short, I don't have
time to edit .conf files.

>    TM> I've financially supported GNU, since I do not have the
>    TM> skills to offer support in terms of software
>    TM> development.
>
> That help is important, but what we need _much_ more is a
> change in your mind. I invite you to see beyond the obvious
> and immediate things. You don't need to be a software
> developer, you can do many things with your attitude.

I do see those things.  I just disagree with David K's hostility and
castigation of others.  What the free software movement doesn't seem
to grasp is that one of the things that counts is useability- both in
terms of the relationship between software and user, but also the
relationships between contributors and maintainers.  If you alienate
people, they just go away and stop using/contributing to your
software.  The implied "oh well, good riddance" is an attitude that is
the kiss of death.