Re: rmail with attachments

From: Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle
Subject: Re: rmail with attachments
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:33:58 +0100

Hi Pedro,

what system are you using?  Debian Sarge I guess, right?

> I'm having problems in the configuration of mh-e and mmenconde.

Your subject line talks about rmail but rmail is not mh-e.  mh-e is the
emacs frontend of nmh, the "new mail handler" which followed mh, the
unix mail handler.  Now, what are you looking for to use: rmail or mh-e?

> Can anybody show me the section for configure mh-e (mail for emacs)
> and mmenconde in the dotemacs?
>
> When i try to open mh-e in emacs with mh-rmail, i get that emacs can't
> found install-mh file or directory. How can i solve this problem?

Should you intend to use mh-e I therefore suggest to first study the info
file for nmh:

     "To get started using nmh, put the directory /usr/bin/mh on your
     $PATH.  This is best done in one of the files: .profile, .login,
     .bashrc, or .cshrc in your home directory.  (Check the manual entry
     for the shell you use, in case you don't know how to do this.)  Run
     the install-mh command.  If you've never used nmh before, it will
     create the necessary default files and directories after asking you
     if you wish it to do so."

After you have done this mh-e should work out of the box greatly
... you'll gonna see :-)

> And if possible, what are others applications for reading mails?

Within emacs?

> What are the difference between mh-e and VM? I suppose that is two
> programs that do the same.

I haven't used VM, just took a short look on it but stick with mh-e
then.  rmail, AFAIK, is the emacs standard mail tool.  mh-e is explained
shortly above.  VM (I think it stands for "view mail") is another mail
tool for use with emacs.

ray