Re: two utf-8 questions

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: two utf-8 questions
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 05:06:28 GMT

"Peter Dyballa" <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote in message
news:mailman.81.1138502554.3044.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...

> Am 28.01.2006 um 19:30 schrieb B. T. Raven:
>
> > 1)
> >
> > Even though the following is in my .emacs:
> >
> >  (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8)
> >
> > when I type 'C-x ret f' I see the prompt:
> >
> > Coding system for visited file (default, nil) instead of (default,
> > utf-8)
> >

> Maybe you need a: (prefer-coding-system   'utf-8)

I already have that (see below). If I respond to the prompt with a bare
carriage return the '-u' in the mode line changes to -- and the file won't
be saved with utf-8 encoding. It seems that shouldn't happen.

> > 2)
> >
> > Has it been pretty much decided that copypasting Unicode using the
> > clipboard between emacs and MS apps is impossible for OS versions
> > earlier
> > than W2000?
>
> I don't think so, but it's natural to assume that all Losedows from
> last millennium has no idea of Unicode.
>
> > After many
> > months of lurking there I am beginning to suspect that some of the
> > following settings are particularly inappropriate:
> >
> > (set-language-environment               'UTF-8)
> >         (set-default-coding-systems             'utf-8)
> >         (setq file-name-coding-system           'utf-8)
> >         (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8)
> >         (setq coding-system-for-write           'utf-8)
> >         (set-keyboard-coding-system             'utf-8)
> >         (set-terminal-coding-system             'utf-8)
> >         (set-clipboard-coding-system            'utf-8)
> >         (set-selection-coding-system            'utf-8)
> >         (prefer-coding-system                   'utf-8)
> >         (modify-coding-system-alist 'process
> > "[cC][mM][dD][pP][rR][oO][xX][yY]" 'utf-8-dos)
> >
> > What could the clipboard and  selection variables be set to in
> > order to
> > give me a better chance of copypasting Unicode successfully?
> >

> I would think it's some CP125x code page (1250: Extended European,
> 1251: Cyrillic, 1252: ANSI, something like ISO 8859-1 or ISO
> Latin-1). And it's probably best to set this as a default -- or how
> do you print or email an UTF-8 text from this Losedows?

By filtering files saved as utf-8 through OpenOffice. I have changed
clipboard and selection variables back to 'iso-8859-1. That way I can
copypaste at least the more common Western European diacritics. I have the
same ver. 21.3 on a w2000 laptop but I can't transfer arbitrary utf-8
encoded characters via the clipboard there either.

> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> When confronted with actual numbers, a mathematician is at a loss.
> (Steffen Hokland)

This happens to teen-age boys with girls, too.

Thanks,

Ed.