Re: indentation, setting variables, commands, and M-x

From: Neil Cerutti
Subject: Re: indentation, setting variables, commands, and M-x
Date: 3 Feb 2006 21:05:09 +0100

On 2006-02-03, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
> In this case, you want to search the manual for "indent" or
> "indentation".  Looking through the explanation of Info mode (from
> `C-h m'), you'll see that `i' looks up a topic in the index, and `s'
> searches the manual for a term.  Using either `i indentation' or `s
> indentation' will soon get you to the part of the manual that
> answers most of your questions (`i indentation' will take you there
> directly, because there is an "indentation" index entry).

It's a slight pain when Emacs uses vocabulary that is hard to guess,
e.g., fill for line-wrapping, and font-lock for syntax coloring. In
these situations, s and i aren't much good.

Those issues are slowly sorting themselves out for me, though.

> Emacs is a self-documenting system - perhaps the first such and
> still probably the best. Spend some time learning the help commands
> first (`C-h ?'), then explore the manual a bit. You'll soon be
> hooked.

I'm finally learning emacs because the functional programming world
seems to rely on it for so many of their IDEs. I'm on a strict regimen
of NO VIM until I'm finally confortable with it. Learning vim first
was just a historical accident, after all.

Neil Cerutti
When you're in the public eye, it's wrong to cheat on someone,
unless you're very careful. If you're normal and no one's going
to know, then do it. --Paris Hilton