Re: how to edit+compile+debug without leaving GNU/Emacs

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: how to edit+compile+debug without leaving GNU/Emacs
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:50:52 +0100

Am 20.02.2006 um 09:28 schrieb venk:

This is suggesting to use one .emacs per edit, build, debug terminals.
Have I understood right?

Yes.

Actually, my home directory(the absolute path) is the same on all these three machines. so wherever I start Emacs from, the same .emacs gets loaded.

The same for me. I had different .Xdefaults files (.Xdefaults- <hostname>) and I had in .emacs portions for each host. HOSTNAME was defined in the environment, so I could get its value and use it.

How can I load different .emacs depending on the machine name?

You could create different .emacs-<HOSTNAME> files and then put into .emacs:

        (load (format "~/.emacs-%s.el" (getenv "HOST")))

This will retrieve the $HOST environment variable and create a file name according to the specified format. The file with this file name then will be loaded and its ELisp code executed. You could make each of these files start with

        (message ".emacs-<given HOSTNAME> starts here")

and end with

        (message ".emacs-<given HOSTNAME> ends here")

to see that it actually works. (You probably know 'touch ~/.emacs-$ {HOST}.el' ?) Then put the *-frame-alist's into them. The default type defaults for all GNU Emacs frame (I prefer to start with an initial one that's a bit different in order to do experiments with some Emacsen in progress).

--
Greetings

  Pete

The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for lists of "Ten Best".
-- H. Allen Smith