Invalid function error in cl.el

From: John Russell
Subject: Invalid function error in cl.el
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:11:30 -0500

I am using emacs 21.4.1 on Gentoo with buffer-stack.el.  Briefly its a
fairly common extension that allows you to switch quickly between
active buffers.  I have used it for years with no problems.  Great,
you say, but why do I care?

Recently whenever I try to call buffer-stack-up or buffer-stack-down (
the main entry points for buffer-stack ) I get the following error

buffer-stack-move: Invalid function: (macro lambda (place &optional x)
"Increment PLACE by X (1 by default).
PLACE may be a symbol, or any generalized variable allowed by `setf'.
The return value is the incremented value of PLACE." (if (symbolp
place) (list (quote setq) place (if x (list (quote +) place x) (list
(quote 1+) place))) (list (quote callf) (quote +) place (or x 1))))

I have tried reinstalling emacs, removing other things from my config,
byte compiled, not byte compiled, on an empty stomach, nothing helps.
The thing that kills me is that this has worked for so long and now
it doesn't.  It has to be something I did, but I can't for the life of
me figure it out.  Any ideas?  Thanks a lot.

John