Re: multiple Emacs versions on w32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: multiple Emacs versions on w32
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:22:28 +0200

> From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>
> Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:22:41 GMT
>
> ii. I tried to report bugs to the address published in emacs itself
> (emacs-devel@gnu.org), but nothing happened and then to the ng
> gnu.emacs.bugs but my posting didn't appear there either. Finally Eli had
> to send me instructions on how to install an msw version of gdb so that I
> could start emacs in that environment. The bottom line is that I don't
> know enough yet to start reporting bugs. This msw98 os seems to be held
> together with spit and string and my reporting of symptoms would be too
> nebulous to be of any help to the developers. All I know is that the
> system either bluescreens or blackscreens about 10 times more frequently
> with 22 running than with 21.

The only report from you I found in emacs-devel archives was from 2
weeks ago, and it talked about Windows 2000 on a Compaq E500, not
about Windows 98.  (On the contrary, you said that on Windows 98 Emacs
does run well.)

In response I gave you directions to where you could download GDB and
asked for more details.  You never followed up, so I really cannot see
how could I help more.

So ``I reported but nothing happened'' is hardly a fair description of
that event.

If you do have more details, by all means post them to emacs-devel,
and I'm sure someone will respond and try to help.

> iii. emacs-build-time for ver. 22 is (17372 40543 497000) if that's any
> help.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is about 45 days ago.  I don't think Emacs
22 was so flaky then, but if you can build the latest CVS version,
please try.

But the really useful information would be to tell what are you doing
when Emacs crashes.  Also, perhaps try selectively commenting out
parts of your .emacs and see if that helps.  For starters, launch
"emacs -q" and see how long it manages to stay alive.  If there are
significant differences in stability between "emacs -q" and the normal
session, the key to unlocking this mystery is in some package you load
in your .emacs or some feature you turn on there.

> The only (maybe) thing that doesn't work is the working directory
> specified in the shortcut to the emacs2.bat file. default-directory
> is set to HOME rather than this document subdirectory.

You can control this in the shortcut's Properties.

> emac1.bat works correctly it even uses use-file-dialog correctly,
> which 22.0.50.1 doesn't do.

The file dialog does work for me in Emacs 22 (on Windows XP).  So this
sounds like another bug, perhaps specific to your machine's setup.
Please report it.