Re: prepend a character to the lines in a region

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: prepend a character to the lines in a region
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:56:53 -0700

B. T. Raven wrote:
If I want to respond to an email where (for whatever reason) the sender's
text hasn't been quoted, I copy paste it into emacs and do a search
replace with this regular expression:

C-M-% \(.+\) RET >\1  RET

This works but the region is repainted before each replacement. Is there a
built in command that can accomplish this? M-; is almost right but it
might not be if I had a defined syntax and I actually wanted to use it for
commenting out a region.

Assuming you've marked the region: C-x r t > RET

--
Kevin Rodgers