Re: W98 vs DOS

From: Peter Tury
Subject: Re: W98 vs DOS
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:59:35 GMT

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:59:14 +0000 (UTC),
vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

> When I use emacs (NT version I think) in W98 it can be clunky.
>
> How can I give it total control of the entire screen like in DOS or UNIX?

http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html says: "What the Patches Contains
[...] 3. Maximized windows in original Emacs on MS Windows are not
maximized. This is a known problem, but changing this has been postponed
because more testing is needed. However I have not noticed any problems."

So it seems you could try EmacsW32 (I use it and maximization for me is
OK.) -- or check those patches in details? (Or check
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryWThirtyTwo for alternatives.)

You can download EmacsW32 (now) from
http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/EmacsW32+Emacs/Emacs-from-CVS/patched/Emacs-22-CvsP060415-EmacsW32-1.00.exe
but I don't really know how it works on an old PC with Win98.

(I think M-x emacs-version could be used.)

Br,