Re: switching frame focus

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: switching frame focus
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 12:12:32 -0600

John Conrad wrote:
It always annoyed me that C-x C-b (and lots of other commands) open
new windows, possibly messing up my window configuration, and almost
always requiring me to take the extra step of hitting C-x o (or F7,
which I've bound to 'other-window). About a year ago I took the step
of adding the following sexp to my .emacs file, which causes all these
buffer-creating commands to open in the current window:

(setq same-window-regexps (list ".*"))

I would be curious to hear from anybody who might share my frustration
and has found an alternative solution.

I do not share your frustration, but you might try frobbing this variable instead:

,----[ C-h v pop-up-windows RET ]
| pop-up-windows is a variable defined in `C source code'.
| Its value is t
|
| Documentation:
| *Non-nil means display-buffer should make new windows.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| [back]
`----

I prefer to leave pop-up-windows as its default (t), but:

(global-set-key "\C-x\C-b" 'electric-buffer-list)

and:

(setq special-display-buffer-names
      (nconc '("*Async Shell Command*" "*Backtrace*" "*VC-log*"
               "*compilation*" "*grep*")
             special-display-buffer-names))
(setq special-display-frame-alist
      (cons '(tool-bar-lines . 0) special-display-frame-alist))

--
Kevin