Re: jump next previous - tag bookmark or search

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: jump next previous - tag bookmark or search
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 20:27:01 -0400

> Thanks Stefan, good point.
> This is how they are presented in 57.3.4 Local Variables in Files in the
> Emacs Manual,

Very good point.  I've just fixed the manual so as not to give such bad
advice any more (in the past the use of ;;; for normal commments was
considered OK, even though it clashed with outline-minor-mode and lisp-mnt,
this has only been adjusted recently).

But note that my remark wasn't just about convention: since the local
variables are used to set the outline-minor-mode, clearly you want to follow
outline's conventions and thus avoid ";;;" even if such comments were
usually considered perfectly acceptable.

> However my point was that, turning on outline-minor-mode seems to deselect
> Lisp-mode (the high-lighting goes), I'm uncertain what happens to
> Slime-mode, and it would seem that a specific order for turning on the
> three modes seems necessary. In this case;
> - outline-minor-mode (first)
> - slime-mode
> - lisp-mode

> And that just seems strange to me. Suddenly almost requiring a Local
> Variables list. It appears these modes can alter or switch off each other,
> depending upon which order they're initiated.

Yes, the `mode' settings was mostly meant for major modes, not minor modes.
Activating a major mode resets most minor modes, so the order is important:
lisp-mode should be activated first (which seems to be obtained
unintuitively by placing it at the end).

        Stefan