ange-ftp and AS400

From: Þorne
Subject: ange-ftp and AS400
Date: 14 Aug 2006 17:38:25 -0700

Does anyone know any magic tricks for using ange-ftp against the AS400
default ftp server?

I am using with Windows emacs, and ange-ftp works fine to connect to
other servers, and the ftp client program connects to the AS400 okay
and i can get files by hand, but ange-ftp seems not to undertstand the
file system or something.  I think the server is starting the session
in qgpl instead of qsys if you use the normal qsys filesystem.  But if
your request starts with a / or a ~ it thinks you want IFS and puts you
somewhere else and, well, i don't really understand it yet, and
evidently ange-ftp doesn't either.

Anyway, any thoughts or pointers appreciated.

th