Re: Saving/Recalling Shell Commands History?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Saving/Recalling Shell Commands History?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:09:02 +0200

Am 21.08.2006 um 17:07 schrieb gamename:

Hi,

Is there any way to save the commands issued in shell-mode and recall
them when a new shell starts, or even in a new instance of emacs?

The documentation writes:

        (defun comint-read-input-ring (&optional silent)
          "Set the buffer's `comint-input-ring' from a history file.
The name of the file is given by the variable `comint-input-ring- file-name'. The history ring is of size `comint-input-ring-size', regardless of file size.
        If `comint-input-ring-file-name' is nil this function does nothing.

        (defun comint-write-input-ring ()
          "Writes the buffer's `comint-input-ring' to a history file.
The name of the file is given by the variable `comint-input-ring- file-name'. The original contents of the file are lost if `comint-input-ring' is not empty.
        If `comint-input-ring-file-name' is nil this function does nothing.

Although I have set comint-input-ring-file-name, this file never gets written. And neither read (I've put some uniq commands into it to see if). All *shell* does in my case, is it reads ~/.tcsh_history – because I have tcsh as login shell.

Could be there is bug, or I simply need to activate the described behaviour with some start-up or shut-down hooks ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

»¿ʇı̣ əsnqɐ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ ɟı̣