Re: Scrolling and cursor

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: Scrolling and cursor
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:40:23 +0200

On 29 Aug 2006 09:20:37 -0700 peter barabas wrote:

> Can I make the cursor stay where it is, even when I scroll down 1000
> lines? I'd like it to stay in its absolute position (e.g. if it was on
> line 10, stay on that line). I found scroll-preserve-screen-position,
> but it only preserves cursor position in a screen and not in the whole
> buffer.

AFAIK not.  But you can set the mark with C-SPC and after
scrolling around exchange point and mark with C-x C-x.

If you have transient mark mode enabled this method would
look rather ugly.  But you can use registers instead.
E.g. put point into register 1 with C-x r SPC 1 and after
some scrolling jump back to register 1 with C-x r j 1.

David