Re: displaying escaped unicode files

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: displaying escaped unicode files
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:19:56 -0500

"Gulliver7" <rpontisso@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:mailman.6822.1158077825.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...

> Hi.  I'm using emacs as a text editor (I'm not a programmer), and need
some
> advice:
>
> I'm running emacs 21.3 in Windows, and need to read and edit some text
files
> with UTF-8 encoding and others with escaped unicode encoding.  I've
managed
> to get emacs to display the UTF-8 files correctly, but not the escaped
> unicode ones.  The alphabet is Latin, but accented characters are not
being
> displayed properly in the escaped unicode files.  What do I need to do
> get emacs to display the characters properly, regardless of whether I go
> into a UTF-8 or an escaped unicode file?
>
> I have to say, I don't really understand what what the coding means --
all I
> know is that I have these files to work with and want to use emacs to
edit
> them.  I'd appreciate any help.
>
> Thank you
> --
http://www.nabble.com/displaying-escaped-unicode-files-tf2259865.html#a626
9354
> Sent from the Emacs - Help forum at Nabble.com.

If escaped unicode is a sequence of hexadecimal tetrads like \x00c0 or
\u00ce then David Love's ucs-tables.el could be used to convert them to
the glyphs at the corresponding Unicode code points by reading each "word"
or token in the file and then passing it to ucs-insert. You would then see
the foreign language character as long as you had an appropriate font or
font-set installed. I've heard that we have to wait for Emacs 23 before we
see seamless Unicode support. Even version 22 (CVS) handles these
characters better than the version I use (21.3). It's common to see
escaped octal representations with version 22.0 probably because the unify
on encoding and decoding aren't folding together the "same" characters
produced using different input methods.

Ed