Re: Re: 88 colors terminals

From: Alexandru E. Ungur
Subject: Re: Re: 88 colors terminals
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:27:20 +0300

>>> sender: "John Sullivan" date: "Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 08:51:23AM -0400" <<<EOQ
> "Alexandru E. Ungur" <alexandru@globalterrasoft.ro> writes:
>
> > I have a question: I recently switched to urxvt as my terminal, and
> > discovered it can actually use 88 colors. What is the best way to take
> > advantage of this while using emacs in console? Are there any color
> > themes that use more than 8 colors in terminals, if they have the chance
> > to? I checked all the (50 I think) color themes that come with color-theme
> > package, but none of them seemed any different than from an 8 colors
> > terminal.
>
> The themes in color-theme do use more than 8 colors in terminals. Did you
> check
> the output of M-x list-colors-display to make sure that things are set
> properly?
>
> Maybe your $TERM isn't set correctly. There is an actual proper way to do
> this,
> but you can cheat and type "export TERM=xterm-88color" before starting emacs.
>
> There's a screenshot of my color output as an example at
> http://journal.wjsullivan.net/162004.html.

Thank you all for replies. I should have mentioned that I am using the
latest emacs from CVS, just compiled it yesterday, and
list-colors-display does show me all the 88 colors just fine. All that
part is ok. I just wasn't sure how I can actually benefit from them...

Thanks again,
Have a lovely Sunday,
Alex