Re: Problems in Displaying endash in Emacs-w3m

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: Re: Problems in Displaying endash in Emacs-w3m
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 11:47:28 +0100

"Charles philip Chan" <cpchan@sympatico.ca> writes:

> On  8 Oct 2006, Peter_Dyballa@web.de wrote:
>
>> The decimal, octal, and hexadecimal values are always strange in GNU
>> Emacs 21 and 22. Can you check what coding system is displayed for
>> you in mode-line? I have "-u:" which stands for UTF-8. Do you have
>> set in your .emacs file some non-UTF-8 *-coding-system?
>
> Yes, all my buffers are in utf-8 (I do have the "-u" in my modline). The
> strange thing is that the n-dashes are displayed correctly in ordinary
> Emacs buffers, I only have problems in Emacs-w3m. Are the n-dashes
> showing for you at http://www.emacswiki.org, for example?

Do you have w3m set up correctly? I mean the program, rather than the
Emacs mode. I remember that when I switched to utf-8 I had some problems
like this because I had previously set w3m up for latin-1.  You can test
this by visiting some page with problem characters using the w3m program
from a terminal.

Regards,

--
Jim Ottaway