Re: How to make <shift> work with <control> in xterm?

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: How to make <shift> work with <control> in xterm?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 18:40:45 +0000 (UTC)

<id.brep@gmail.com>], who wrote in article
<1160802062.842063.186330@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:
> In the emacs manual, it's said:
>
>    On ASCII terminals, there are only 32 possible control characters.
> These are the control variants of letters and `@[]\^_'.  In addition,
> the shift key is meaningless with control characters: `C-a' and `C-A'
> are the same character, and Emacs cannot distinguish them.
>
> I use xterm, I think it's graphical terminal, is it possibleto make
> <shit>
> work with <control> in xterm?

With special keys, it should work out-of-the-box (with sufficiently
new xterm) [of course, Emacs is (was?) too stupid to support keys with
modifiers out-of-the box; if current one is still that stupid, see
ilyaz.org/software/emacs, look for `key' `modifier' in customization files].

With ASCII key, if Thomas suggestion on modify-other-keys does not
help, you may want to add xterm keybindings which would send, e.g.,
C-x @ c A for C-S-a etc.

Hope this helps,
Ilya