Re: in gnome terminal, Emacs "hears" C-M-SPC as M-SPC

From: Sam Peterson
Subject: Re: in gnome terminal, Emacs "hears" C-M-SPC as M-SPC
Date: 16 Oct 2006 06:40:27 -0700

Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> writes:

> subject pretty much says it all: I'm using recent Emacs from CVS;
> gnome-terminal from recent ubuntu.  Almost everything works
> perfectly -- but when I hit C-M-SPC, which I do a _lot_, Emacs "hears"
> M-SPC.  (By which I mean if I then type C-h l, I see ESC SPC; or if I
> do C-h C-c C-M-SPC it tells me that "M-SPC runs the command
> just-one-space".  You get the idea).
>
> Is there some way I can fiddle gnome-terminal to fix this?
> --
> ... democracy is the worst form of government except all those
> other forms that have been tried from time to time.
>         -- Winston Churchill, cited at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy

What of Esc C-SPC?  Alt is a troublesome key in Window managers.
Doesn't solve your problem, I realize, but if that works then it's
something to do with either gnome-terminal or the Window Manager
capturing it.  So it might be gnome-terminal, or it might be the
Window Manager.

--
Sam Peterson
skpeterson At nospam ucdavis.edu