Re: beamer, pdflatex and auctex

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: beamer, pdflatex and auctex
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 21:28:21 +0200

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

>>> For what purpose?  What do you ultimately want to do with the code?
>>
>> I'm using the code during working time, of course, and I'd like to
>> donate my work to the FSF, if possible and if the code is good
>> enough.
>
> Code that is distributed as part as Emacs (and it sounds like this is
> the ultimate goal) must be assigned to the FSF.  So since no such

I did not start out with this goal but I admit the idea of being a
tiny part of Emacs is now very pleasing to me.  It would be relieving
when I could give something, anything back.

My first priority is getting the code into a presentable form till the
end of 2006.  Then I hope with the release of Emacs 22 I'll getting
some feedback and do some further polishing.  At this time, hopefully
before 2008 ;-/, I'll pipe up again.

> assignment is on file from the authors of the modification, you need
> to either find them and have them go through the procedure as well, or
> rewrite the functionality starting from octave.el without making use
> of copyrightable material from ansys-mod.el.

I understand.

> Yes, it is a nuisance.  I am in the same process for AUCTeX, and even
> though we have all the maintainers and the current contributors with
> assignments on file, it is still going to take years to get all the
> rest in order.

Thank heaven I'm in a better position than you.  I'm quite optimistic
that in ansys-mod.el are mainly adjustments from octave-mod.el to the
Ansys idiosyncrasies.  Having gone so far, I think I'll do this step
of a rewrite when there will be a genuine interest under the Emacs
developers.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm