Re: cannot install emacs on a laptop

From: Christian Pirschalawa
Subject: Re: cannot install emacs on a laptop
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:37:41 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Leo" <sdl.web@gmail.com>
To: <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2006 6:46 PM

On Sun, 29/10/06, Christian Pirschalawa wrote:

Hi,

I tried to install emacs on my laptop, but the configure script doesn't run proberly. It does not find gcc or cc and shows the error "No acceptable cc
found in $PATH". I tried it under SUSE and ubuntu, it's the same.

I'm a Linux beginner, therefore I have no clue what this error message means.

You need a c compiler.

In SuSE, fire up yast and install `gcc'
In ubuntu, apt-get install gcc

--
Leo

Hi,

apt-get sais that "the gcc package is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean hat the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source. E: Package gcc has no installation candidate." I checked the Synaptic Package Manager: The gcc package is already installed.

Chris