Re: ^L character?

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: ^L character?
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 22:44:40 -0600

"Peter" <facetious_nickname@hotmail.com> wrote in message
uzmb2r8zm.fsf@hotmail.com">news:uzmb2r8zm.fsf@hotmail.com...
> I'm trying to work with a file that I pasted-as-text from Acroread, in
> Windows XP.  I'd like to replace all of the ^L characters that show up
> in this document with either nothing, or a \newline (for LaTeX). How
> do I go about replacing a character like that using Emacs?
>
> Thank you.

To replace ^L with nothing (delete):

M-% C-q C-l RET RET

spacebar....

then after seeing it work on a few, press ! to replace all.

To replace ^L with a newline:

M-% C-q C-l RET C-q C-j RET
for an actual newline char 10
or
.... \newline if that's what LaTeX wants.

M stands for Meta (mapped to Alt on common keyboards). M-% (Alt-Shift-%)
and C-q C-L C-j are keychords: While holding down the first, press the
second.