Confused by Ediff merging

From: golliher
Subject: Confused by Ediff merging
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:26:22 -0800 (PST)

I think I am missing something about Ediff.  I tried to use it today to merge
.emacs files from two separate hosts.   After a session with
ediff-merger-buffers I am left with a ediff-merge buffer, but it is
sprinkled with lines like:

<<<<<<< variant A

around the regions that I merged from the source files.

I would like to have that same buffer only without those additions.  I could
search and delete them, but I can't help but think I'm missing something
fundamental about ediff-merge.   The official Ediff manual hasn't been
enlightening.

So two questions:

1) Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
--or--
2) Anyone know of a good merging tutorial?