Re: No x-faces with emacs 22.0 on XPpro Was: Can't show up x-faces on Wi

From: Rud1ger Sch1erz
Subject: Re: No x-faces with emacs 22.0 on XPpro Was: Can't show up x-faces on WinXP installation
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:47:10 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Rud1ger Sch1erz <nospam_tigre@yahoo.es>
>> Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:02:45 +0100
>>
>> > Anyway, I can't manage, to see the x-face, like on my linux box. I see
>> > face, but no x-fach. :-/
>
> Could you please explain what are you looking for?  I have no idea
> what you mean by ``x-face''

x-face is a 1-bit black&white bitmap format, ascii coded, which came
with the X11 window system. You can find one (my) in the header of
this posting.

> and how did you try to see it.

Gnus shows it in the article buffer between From: and the
sendername/-email.

If there is a ``Face'' (colored bitmap) in the header of the email or
news, gnus uses this to show in the article buffer at the same place.

My installation shows Face-images in the article buffer, but no
x-faces. As emacs/gnus uses external programs (uncompface and
icon2pbm), there might be the problem. But I cant locate it. The
programs are installed on my machine.

>> > MSwindows XPpro
>> > GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2005-06-26 on NONIQPC
>> > Gnus v5.11
>
> That is a very old version, btw.

Well, that's the newest binary for MS windows, I've found. I've tried
to compile the current CVS version with Visual Studio 2005, but failed
due compiler errors. At the moment I don't have time to solve this, so
I'm glad, if you could point me to the newest binary package.

Cheers,
Rudiger