Re: Why I can't use `info' in emacs?

From: Ronald
Subject: Re: Why I can't use `info' in emacs?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:20:58 +0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Ronald <followait@163.com>
>> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 07:59:03 +0800
>>
>> It works in bash.
>> But in emacs, either I use`M-x info' or `C-h C-i',
>> it can't display the info page.
>
> First, I assume you meant "C-h i", not "C-h C-i".
>
> Second, what does ``can't display the info page'' mean, exactly?  What
> happens after "C-h i"?

I'd like to see the info page for the word where the point is.
When I type ``C-h C-i" it says there is no info node for that word.
But in bash there is.
I was told to add the path to Info-default-directory-list, but I don't know where it is.

``C-h i" works fine.

What I need is very simple, open the info page for the word where the point is.

>> ``man 3 printf" ,  how to do it with info?
>
> There are several ways.  If you are sure you are looking for the C
> library function `printf', type "C-h S c-mode RET printf RET".
>
> If you are not sure what `printf' you are looking for, try "M-x
> info-apropos RET".
>
> (The above might not work if you are not running Emacs 22.)

I think the key sequence is too long for convenience.