Re: way to quickly jump to functions using menu created by mouseclicks

From: Badari Kakumani
Subject: Re: way to quickly jump to functions using menu created by mouseclicks
Date: 21 Dec 2006 08:13:42 -0800

Drew Adams wrote:
> > jump to that
> > >
> > > * A menu-bar menu "Defs" for Imenu - use only the mouse.
> > > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/imenu%2b.el
> >
> > basically i wanted to see a menu of functions using my mouse.
> > i couldn't figure out how to get imenu or imenu+ to do that.
> > may be i am missing something on how to use the imenu or imenu+
> > packages. any pointers on the documentation are highly appreciated.
> > thanks,-badari
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. Imenu+ gives you a menu-bar menu, Defs, of
> function (and variable etc.) definitions, which you can access using the
> mouse. However, it does this only for Lisp. Perhaps you are looking for
> something that does the same thing for a different language? If so, you
> might be able to figure out how to do that (using Emacs Lisp), based on how
> Imenu+ does it for Lisp.
>
> To be sure we're communicating, does Imenu+ do what you want for Emacs-Lisp
> files (*.el) at least? If not, try explaining again what it is that you are
> looking for.

there is something i am really missing ;)

i am using emacs version 21.2.95.2 on sun machines.

the menu items at the top i see are as follows:

    File   Edit   Options  Buffers Tools  Emacs-Lisp Help

None of the above menus seem to lead me to imenu stuff.

is it possible that some other package that i am using is clobbering
the menu item put-forward by imenu?

not sure about the exact elisp code/functions that control the emacs
menus.
once i know the code/functions that control
this feature, i could grep the packages i have and see if they do any
funny things with my menus. any pointers are appreciated.

thanks,
-badari