Re: MY window tree!

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: MY window tree!
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:32:44 +0100

martin rudalics wrote:
 > How does this relate to if the buffer was DISPLAYED in the window tree
 > (ie if window-buffer had that value for any window in the window tree)
 > at the moment winsav-get-window-tree was called?

If I understand correctly you save the identity of such a buffer via

        (list (window-buffer tree)

hence you have an entry for that buffer in the saved window tree.  Let's
call the buffer B and the window W.  Suppose now you eventually want to
`winsav-put-window-tree' the tree you saved.  When you create the new
window, say N, corresponding to W you make it display B (provided B
still exists).  Next you check all windows in the new window tree.  When
you check N you know that it (1) displays buffer B, and (2) is a replica
of window W.  Now you scan B and for any overlay in B referencing W you
make the overlay reference N unless W is still alive.  All other
overlays in B are ignored.  Where is the problem?  Try to describe a
scenario that introduces an inconsistency in my proposal.

The scenario is simply that at the time when I save the window tree the buffer with 'window property pointing to window W is not displayed in any window at all, but it can be displayed in window W.