Re: emacs and PuTTY

From: John Oliver
Subject: Re: emacs and PuTTY
Date: 26 Jan 2007 21:24:06 GMT

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 10:38:29 +0000, Brendan Halpin wrote:
> John Oliver <joliver@john-oliver.net> writes:
>
>> We have several users who SSH to a server with PuTTY and run emacs
>> there.  Unfortunately, there seems to be some issue with PuTTYs terminal
>> emulation and emacs (emacs-21.3-4.10 on RHEL 4) which makes the cursor
>> jump around and do some weird things like that.  They tell me that
>> hitting Control-L "fixes" it for a minute or two, but it'll start
>> happening again.
>
> Have you checked LANG issues? My linux boxes have LANG=en_IE.UTF-8
> and putty has to be told to use UTF-8, otherwise the terminal
> becomes garbled if any non-ASCII range characters appear.

The server is RHEL4, and so, yes, uses UTF-8  But making that change in
PuTTY doesn't solve this issue.

And, yes, there are lots of non-ASCII characters involved here.  Most of
our users want to see non-English characters rendered correctly, and
using Xemacs is just what the doctor ordered.  But there's one who wants
to see the characters not rendered, but in whatever the "base" code is.
I don't know squat about languages and character sets and such, so I
don't know the right terms to use :-(

--
* John Oliver                              http://www.john-oliver.net/ *