Can ange-ftp skip the ls step?

From: thorne
Subject: Can ange-ftp skip the ls step?
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 07:24:36 -0800

Hello.  I am fiddling around with trying to get ange-ftp to play nice
with the default ftp server on the IBM iSeries / AS400.  What seems to
be happening is that ange-ftp insists on getting a directory listing
of the root library (`qsys.lib') and the problem is that this
operation take /forever and a day/.  So, two questions:  is there a
good way to turn off this functionality?  Can ange-ftp just cd to
wherever you need and do its thing, rather than cd / ls / cd / ls
... its way along the directory structure?  I tried looking at the
code a bit, but ange-ftp is /huge/!

Anfd second, can anyone tell my why ange-ftp does this?  is it a
safety thing somehow?

Thanks.

--
þ    theron tlax    þ