Re: Transforming Captures in replace-regexp

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Transforming Captures in replace-regexp
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:12:01 +0100

Peter Danenberg <pcd@wikitex.org> writes:

>> Works only with Emacs>21, namely pretests or development snapshots
>> of Emacs 22.
>

>      I notice from the ChangeLog, David, that you're respon-
> sible for implementing `\,'; thanks: you've saved  at  least
> several hours of my life.

\, does not achieve anything that query-replace-regexp-eval could not
already do previously.  But discovering and using the latter felt, in
my opinion, too awkward for convenience.

You'll find that in the present implementation, \, actually
does nothing that a non-interactive call of query-replace-regexp could
not have achieved: it is implemented merely in the interactive form
collecting the arguments for query-replace-regexp, the actual call of
query-replace-regexp itself occuring with a Lisp form.  You can
look at it by using
C-x M-ESC
after a query-replace-regexp call using \,.