Re: replacing characters and whacky trans-buffer conversion

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: replacing characters and whacky trans-buffer conversion
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 17:28:43 +0100

Am 06.03.2007 um 16:15 schrieb ken:

An email comes in with this (emdash) character in it: –

It's only an EN DASH, U+2013 (dec 8211, oct 20023). There are only a few encodings that contain it:

        CP1250
        CP1251
        CP1252
        NeXT
        Mac-Greek
        Mac-Cyrillic
        Mac-Roman
        Adobe Standard Encoding

(not complete, I presume). This character has in UTF-8 a representation of 0xE2 0x80 0x92, three bytes. It seems that somehow each of this three bytes is converted into some three byte representation. A malfunction in GNOME? (At least I had once such problems in Fedora Core 1.)

Can you try to paste into an UTF-8 encoding buffer? Its mode-line should start with -u: (or -U: in GNU Emacs 23.0.0).

--
Greetings

             ~  O
             ~  O  o