Re: How to edit "mixed" (e.g. HTML/JavaScript) files?

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: How to edit "mixed" (e.g. HTML/JavaScript) files?
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 12:49:59 +0100

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 10:48:27 +0100 Hadron wrote:

> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> kj wrote:
>>> It often happens that a single file must contain code corresponding
>>> to two different syntaxes.  For example, an HTML file with embedded
>>> JavaScript or CSS.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to *locally* override the mode of a file and replace
>>> it with a different mode?
>>>
>>> If not, is there a good way to deal with such situations (other
>>> than avoiding them altogether)?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> kj
>>
>> It depends on whom you ask ;-)
>>
>> You may try nxhtml-part-mode in nXhtml (you need Emacs 22 beta):
>>
>>   http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/nXhtml/doc/nxhtml.html
>>
>> Or you may try this
>>
>>   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/MultipleModes
>>

> Has anyone recently got this multiplemodes working? The wiki reads like
> a slaughter house!

Just my experience:  you won't get it to work.  Everything available
are more or less dirty hacks.

The most promising approach (IMHO) is multi-mode.el (but it's a more
general solution, you have to do some hacking yourself to get it
work for your special mode).

Don't spend to much time fiddling with the different modes.  Emacs
isn't ready yet to deal with this.

David