Re: replacing characters and whacky trans-buffer conversion

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: replacing characters and whacky trans-buffer conversion
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 15:34:17 -0500

> In both the *.el file and in the *scratch* buffer
> default-enable-multibyte-characters is t.

Good (it can't be different: it's a global var.  To see differences, you'd
have to look at enable-multibyte-characters).

> Here's the entirety of the *.el file:

Hmm... the problem is that you have bytes in your file, rather than chars.
Part of it is likely due to bugs in Emacs (it shouldn't let you get into
such a state).

Try to open your file and replace all the funny "“" or "\NNN" (3-chars) with
"\NNN" (6 chars).  Then save&reload.  I.e. turn your file into a plain
ASCII file.

To help you find all the chars you need to replace by escape sequences, you
can use  C-u C-s [^[:ascii:]]

        Stefan