Re: Anyone knows how to do dvd/book collection management in Emacs?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Anyone knows how to do dvd/book collection management in Emacs?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 14:49:14 +1000

Chris McMahan <first_initiallastname@one.dot.net> writes:

> You might want to take a look at the Emacs Database Package edb.
>
> It's not been maintained for some time, but it might prove helpful
> You can find it at
> http://pag.csail.mit.edu/~mernst/software/edb/
>
> Someone else suggested a plain text file. I can see the value in this,
> combined especially with some type of folding program. I've recently
> become enthusiastic about a package called allout, which I'm using for
> storying lists of all sorts. I'm even combining it with the
> jka-compr-ccrypt package to store encrypted files with my passwords in
> it.
>
> You can find out about allout at
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AllOut
>
> - Chris
>
> CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I wanna manage my dvd collection and books in Emacs. Just I got idea how
>> to do this. The first thing coming to my mind is ebib
>> (http://ebib.sf.net). Just it can only operate on a pre-created bib
>> file. I need to grab an existed bib file to use with ebib.
>>
>> Please shed light on me which app to use or where to grab bib file for
>> dvd (movie) and book collections.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> CHENG Gao

BBDB is a contacts database that integrates well with various mail and news
reading programs for Emacs. Its not what you want for a DVD collection
management app.

As mentionned, there is edb (the emacs database) which is fairly easy to use.
While it may not be actively maintained, I do rmember seeing some posts from
someone who was doing some work on it and I think the Debian version of this
package is built from that work.

You also have emacs forms, which would allow you to create a quite powerful
interface for managing your data. I think it can use either plain files or a
berkley style db (but you need to check that).

I do seem to remember someone posting a mode to do this to the emacs sources
group. Maybe try and find an archive of that group and have a look. Likewise,
check out the elisp packages listed on the emacs wiki at www.emacswiki.org.

Emacs 22 comes with SES (Simple Emacs Spreadsheet), which you could probably
use as well. There is a version of SES you can get for emacs 21 (again, see the

The other alternative is to use something like bibtex and the emacs bibtex mode
to manage your DVD info.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au