Re: Mouse Scroll.

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Mouse Scroll.
Date: 2 Apr 2007 02:55:11 -0700

On Mar 30, 3:17 pm, jmg3...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2:48 pm, "Robert Thorpe" <rtho...@realworldtech.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 29, 1:57 am, "Daniel" <hanm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > (BTW, why emacs is so hard to use? It is very less intuitive to use.)
>
> > Sigh, It's a long story.
>
> Just curious, what do you mean? Seems to me that, for a terminal-based
> app, Emacs is pretty easy to use -- you just need to remember or else
> look up a number of key-combos. The docs are good, the integrated help
> is good. Haven't really tried elisp though.

If you want to use it as it comes out of the box then it's very easy
to use, it works like the editors that come with common operating
systems.  It's just much more powerful and has slightly different
keys.  Writing elisp and adding support for new features isn't even
that hard either, if you're OK with learning another language.

There are problems though.  Keymaps currently present a small problem,
since the only way to modify them is through elisp.  This isn't hard
in simple cases but often the exact specifics of how they should be
used are difficult.

Most users I think act like myself when they get a new program, they
use the keys that it uses, another small group of users immediately
start rearranging the keys.  I think the OP is one of this second
group who end up wondering why everything is so hard.  Loads of the
enquiries from newbies on this newsgroup are from trying to rearrange
keys.

All that said, I can't complain, if I was really bothered I'd write
some code to make it simpler.